Saturday, December 26, 2009

Elijah on Mount Carmel




Our last day of this marvelous journey in March 2000 took us to the top of Mount Carmel. My prayer this day is beautifully expressed in this excerpt from the book, "Meeting God in Holy Places," by F. LaGard Smith: "It was Elijah who announced the famine that would come over the land of Israel because of its idolatry; who was fed meat and bread by the ravens while he hid out from the king; who performed the miracle of the widow's replenishing flour; and who raised the same widow's son from the dead. But we remember him best for the great contest with prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel, which had been covered with shrines to Baal. Elijah prayed to God, and God sent down a ferocious fire which consumed the sacrifice--meat, wood, water, stones, dirt, and all! 

As demonstrated so powerfully in the story of Elijah, we're just liable to get what we pray for! Can you imagine it? A fire coming down out of Heaven, consuming every selfish desire, every stubborn will, every wayward thought, every misdirected word, every evil motive? 

Lord Jesus, Your power is too great, too consuming for my wavering faith. Send me this day the tiniest spark that might ignite in me a flame of passion for Your Greater Power in my life. Prepare in me a heart willing to accept Your overwhelming love, and only then, Lord, pour down upon me the fullness of Your Self until my own being is wholly consumed in Thine."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive