Tuesday, November 11, 2014

the majesty and wonder of our great I AM...

2,000 year-old olive tree in Garden of Gethsemane

Looking up to heaven through the branches of a 2,000 year-old olive tree

the Garden of Gethsemane on the Mount of Olives

walking down the Mount of Olives to the Garden of Gethsemane
Our Israeli tour bus stopped at the top of the Mount of Olives. As I stepped off the bus, and my foot first touched the Mount of Olives, I became so aware of the holy presence of our Lord. I remembered God's Word in Zechariah 14:4...On that day, His Feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west.

My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ walked here, prayed here, ascended to Heaven here, and one day He will return here, splitting the Mount of Olives like the veil of the temple.

As I begin to walk down the steep incline down the Mount of Olives to the Garden of Gethsemane, my eyes begin to fill with tears for the sweat drops of blood pressed from my Savior as He wept and prayed, My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet, not as I will, but as You will.

Touching this huge olive tree, estimated to be over 2,000 years old, I suddenly realize, He could have prayed here that night, beside this very tree. That night when He went further still after asking His disciples to pray with Him for just an hour...the place where Jesus was betrayed with a kiss.


Picturing the scene
from John 18:4-6, Jesus knowing all that was going to happen to Him went out and asked them, Who is it you want?" When Jesus said, "I AM," they drew back and fell to the ground.

I hear my dear Lord saying, "I AM," right here where I am standing now. My God and my Savior Jesus Christ, the great "I AM."

What power knocked 600 armed soldiers to their backs? The God of all creation, El Elyon, the Sovereign and Supreme Most High God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob stood before them in living, breathing flesh and uttered His perfect, divine, and holy name: "I AM!"

Remembering Acts 1:11-12, This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen Him go into heaven. Then they returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives.

I will never be the same again...Lord Jesus, open the blocked artery that connects my head to my heart. Open my mind that I may understand the Scriptures, to have Your Feast every day until I see You Face-to-face. In the precious and holy name of Jesus Christ, I pray, amen

Take a few moments to lose yourself in the majesty and wonder of our great "I AM" in the lyrics of this song by Mark Schultz.

Was this encouraging to you? Please feel free to leave a comment in the box below. I'd love to hear from you!

Linking up with Holley Gerth's Coffee for Your Heart as an encourager.

6 comments:

  1. Love this! Praise God that He never leaves us the same after we meet Him. I loved your pictures and beautifully-crafted story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you so much for your kind comments. This morning over at Holley's place, I was so touched by your tender post... http://stoopingformanna.blogspot.com/2014/11/all-tucked-in.html ... I sent it to many others. Many blessings to you :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Post, thanks for sharing the lovely pics too! Visiting from Holley Gerth's Link Up Party, have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to leave your sweet comment, Angie, from over at Holley's place. I love how we all get to meet each other there! Many blessings to you :)

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures and hearing your thoughts about what may have happened. It would be amazing to connect the stories with where they happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah...your thoughtful comments are so encouraging to me! Many blessings to you :)

      Delete

Blog Archive