Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I've got you. It's okay. We're gonna make it.


Recently on the popular television show, Dancing With The Stars, Mark Ballas and his celebrity partner, Candace Cameron Bure, were dancing a Viennese waltz and then a jazz number when a slight misstep caused Candace to momentarily lose her place. It was obvious that Mark was speaking to her as they continued to dance, attempting to complete the number. The judges asked Mark what he was saying to Candace as they were waltzing their way to the end of the routine. Mark replied,
I’ve got you. It’s okay. Right leg. Left leg. Stretch. Turn around. I’ve got you. I’ve got you. It’s okay. Love you. Love you. Love you. We’re gonna make it. We’re gonna make it.

Mark’s encouraging comments took me back in time to June 1, 2005, when the first episode of Dancing With The Stars debuted. That summer, I was working through a Genesis Bible study on God’s name, El Shaddai. As soon as I heard the words Mark was speaking to Candace, I immediately went back in time to an image I believe our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ gave me during that Genesis Bible study.
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless. I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers." Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. Genesis 17:1-7
The Hebrew word for God Almighty is El Shaddai, the first time this name has ever been used. The Hebrew word, El means might, power, omnipotence. The Hebrew word Shaddai means power, however, it’s not the power of violence, but of all-bountifulness; it literally means to shed forth or to pour forth. Shaddai comes from the root word “shad” which is tied in meaning to the milk that a mother gives her baby. Think about a mother’s milk prior to modern times: It was the baby’s only means of nourishment and life, and it was and is the only perfect food available anywhere. El Shaddai means: “One mighty to nourish, satisfy, and supply.” The idea is of bounty from an All-Powerful God, El Shaddai is all sufficient.

God was saying, “I’m inviting you into a relationship with El Shaddai. I am El Shaddai. As you respond to Me, you will walk before Me and you will be blameless. They are so intertwined you can’t split them apart.”

As I studied this Scripture, the Lord kept bringing to my mind's eye an image of dancing face-to-face, like a graceful ballroom dance, with my Lord Jesus Christ—my El Shaddai—as my dance instructor, just like on the new television show I had been watching that month, Dancing With The Stars.

Even in the phrase, "walk before me,” the word “before” means a “face, surface, before, in front of, to face something.”  It was as though God was saying, “Walk facing Me, stay face-to-face, in a face-to-face relationship with Me.” I know He’s looking at me, He knows I’m looking at Him, I keep facing Him. God already knows.

Walk facing Him. Pick your face up and look into His, walk face-to-face with Him. We’re going to walk where we’re looking. If we walk face-to-face with Him, when we stumble, we get right back up, and we hear Him say,
I’ve got you. It’s okay. Right leg. Left leg. Stretch. Turn around. I’ve got you. I’ve got you. It’s okay. Love you. Love you. Love you. We’re gonna make it. We’re gonna make it.
How about you? Was this encouraging to you? Please feel free to leave your comments in the box below, I’d love to hear from you!


Linking up with Holley Gerth's Coffee for Your Heart as an encourager.

6 comments:

  1. "We’re going to walk where we’re looking." It's good to know we can look at God who knows what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Beth! This gave me a lump in my throat... in the best way. I am your neighbor at Holley's place today. This reminds me of one of my favorite songs that I haven't thought about in years. Bethany Dillon's "For My Love" features sweet Bethany asking Jesus to dance with her and fight for her. Worth a listen! Peace be with you today, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aly...wow! I listened to "For My Love"...so powerful, so visual, so encouraging...thank you for your sweet comments, now I'm the one with a lump in my throat...in the best way :)

      Delete
  3. So often i have to remind myself of these words, his love is my strength

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, yes, I so agree with you, thank you for taking time to share your comment :)

      Delete

Blog Archive