Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Western Wall of Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem


Walking up to the Western Wall of Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem on March 16, 2000, I am struck with the reality of the exact location of where I am...


When Herod renovated the second temple at the end of the first century before Christ, he shored up the temple plaza on all sides by massive walls, up to six stories high. 


Although only half that height is visible above ground level today, the Western Wall is still impressive, particularly the 165-foot portion known as the Wailing Wall. 


I approach the Western Wall, reach out my hand and touch the unusually smooth surface of these formerly rough stones, made so smooth by so many people touching them over the centuries. 


This wall would have been just on the other side of the Holy-of-Holies in the Tabernacle...I wrote my prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, give us a heart and mind which worships You as the One and Only Holy God..." 


I signed my name and the names of my closest family members, folded the paper and placed it in the small cracks between the smooth stones of the Western Wall, the Wailing Wall, along with thousands of other small pieces of paper placed there each day.

Out of all the world, the Jews had been God's chosen people. To the Jews alone had God miraculously appeared in the cloud and in the sea. 


When the Glory of the Lord filled the temple, God was literally present in the midst of His people! "Destroy this temple," Jesus said, "and I will raise it again in three days." 


But the temple of which Jesus had spoken was His own crucified body. One day it was as dead as the stone covering His tomb, three days later it was brought back to life again by the incomparable power of His Resurrection! And here lies our hope. "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?"

As I walk away from the Western Wall...I have not taken even the first step away from God's Presence...the Spirit of Christ Who dwells in the innermost part of me, taking Authority over my soul--the seat of my emotions, and my body--my fleshly desires and appetities. All Praise, Honor, and Glory to You, my Lord and my Savior Jesus Christ, the One and Only Son of the Living God.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive