Wednesday, December 26, 2012

we have the past to look forward to


“We cannot, Lord, Thy purpose see, but all is well that’s done by Thee.” –William Lister (1867)
"All your sins were future when Jesus died."

"All that will be is not now yet."

"Faith is being able to visualize as true and real already what God is yet to do."

"Trusting God means looking beyond what we can see to what God sees."


The Lord Jesus Christ has used a simple timeline document to help me gain a wide-angle view of life…a little glimpse of what it will be like when we step out of time and into eternity and see the panorama of the past, the present, and the future all-at-once…

Beginning at the beginning…

One way of doing this is begin to document a timeline of your life. I have shared the first 10 years of my life timeline in the photo on this blog. You can do it too. Take a look at your life in 10 year segments, asking God to reveal to you all the spiritual mile markers in your life…broken places, hurts, disappointments, accomplishments, and joyful times…to help you see that God had been there all along…His name is Emmanuel—God with us…His grace is sufficient. 

To accomplish this task, I discovered a very helpful tool for a “Timeline Template” through Microsoft. It’s free, and it’s very easy to use, the text boxes expand to whatever size you need, and the arrows on the boxes can be moved to any location on the timeline.  You can duplicate the timeline, and save as a new page for each decade of your life. The link for this “Timeline Template” really helped me to get my thoughts on paper, and God has used it to heal me in so many ways…http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/timeline-TC001016265.aspx

The Hebrew concept of time is like a person rowing a boat. We see where we have been, we back into the future. I can clearly see that God has been there with me all along. I am not stuck in the past, I am rowing into the future, moving forward, proactive, with my focus, my mindset, on God, who is sovereign. He sees the past, the present, and the future all-at-once. 

Morning after morning in my quiet time, I bring myself back to the Cross of Christ…as I bow before Him, I experience anew His forgiveness, redemption, mercy, and grace, as I sense His blood dripping over the Crown of Thorns pressed into His brow, onto my heart, covering my sin, and I get up from my knees wearing His Robe of righteousness as I face the day ahead…rowing into the future. 

What are your thoughts? 

In what ways might the Lord use a timeline to help you gain a wide-angle view of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive